Friday, October 16, 2009

Brew Day Tomorrow - Belgian Dubbel

I love Belgian Abbey Style ales, and dubbels are my favorite. Rich with raisiny, fruity esters, this is a warming, complex autumn beer (though I love a good one any time of the year). If you've had Chimay Red, Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale, Grimbergen Double (on tap at Harry's Country Club, I believe), Ommegang, or even New Belgian Abbey Ale, you've had a good example.

Tomorrow, I'll try to make 10 gallons of my own. I've been amassing two large starters (~1600 milliliters) of special Belgian Abbey Ale yeast (Wyeast 1214) over the past week. I have made up my own recipe - 13 pounds of Belgian pale malt, 5 pounds of Belgian Pilsner malt, 1 pound of Special B, 2 pound of Belgian Aromatic, 2 pounds of Mexican pilloncilla sugar, and a pound and a half of cane sugar. I'm using 1 ounce of New Zealand Hallertauer leaf hops to add just a touch of bitterness.

If anyone wants to see how all that makes a beer, email or call. I'll probably start mid-morning, and be at it till mid-afternoon.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Average Jane said...

Sounds delicious! I can't make it over for the brewing, but be sure to let me know when the tasting commences. :)

10/16/2009 7:42 PM  
Blogger KC Hop Head said...

Now you're talking my language. So Mexican piloncillo sugar huh? Is that your own idea? That's pretty cool. I'd love to come by but going to the kc beer fest which should be awesome and lame at the same time, just like college.

10/16/2009 9:00 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

The sugar is my own idea - I used it in the Tripel that won the 75th Street Homebrew contest, but we didn't use it in the scaled up recipe. I think it made a difference.

10/16/2009 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home