Wednesday, November 12, 2008

King of Domesticity

One of the lingering impacts of sexism in my upbringing has been a complete lack of ability to sew buttons. My mother was an accomplished seamstress - she even made a wedding dress for one of my sisters, and vestments for a family friend who became a priest - but she never passed on any needle-and-thread tips to me.

So, when I showed up at work yesterday and noticed that my suit coat had dangling buttons, I knew I was in trouble. Even if one of my coworkers would be willing to help out a dude in distress, asking would only expose me to taunts of sexism (most of my coworkers are female) and helplessness.

Armed with internet instructions and the office sewing kit, I managed to solve my own problem. Now, before you think this is a minor accomplishment, I should point remind you that this was a suit coat button, so I could not poke the needle all the way through to the back of the fabric. In the sphere of sewing buttons, I'm pretty sure this is equivalent to taking off your training wheels and winning the Tour de France.

When I got home, I enjoyed the Pot Roast with Root Vegetables I had loaded up in my new crock pot before I left for work.

Somewhere, my Mom and Dad are either smiling down at me, or wondering what the hell happened to their boy . . .

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, in the spirit of fun, I must point out that this is where mandating that your wife accompany you to work every day would come in quite handy...

11/12/2008 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was that a Funky joke? snicker

AF

11/12/2008 12:02 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I need some tailoring done. You hiring out?

11/12/2008 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rydell's in Brookside is the best.

11/13/2008 5:32 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

PlazaJen - that was funny. Comment of the month so far.

Jim - those shirts getting a little tight in the belly and loose across the chest?

11/13/2008 5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On as side note...did you see this weeks Pitch Arcticle on the MUNICIPAL COURT!

I told you corruption was still bubbling, but you weren't interested.

Ah, the Kansas City Bar, such fine men and women, snivelers who kiss political hacks and lie to each other for temporary advantage, generally stupid (or they would be practicing law in a real city) and oh so righteous toward those not members of their hack groups.

Independence is notorious for that.

They even beat each other up!


Traffic Court Failure

11/13/2008 6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon @ 6:23

I'm sorry that you were so mistreated by an attorney somewhere. Clients who got screwed by their attorneys can sometimes get relief through the KCMBA or the Missouri Bar. There are also plenty of lawyers who are happy to sue other lawyers, or you could always just go to law school yourself assuming that you can get your license to practice before the statute of limitations expires.

As far as reporting on local corruption, why do you expect someone else to take up your cause? If Dan was consistently writing about Municipal Court I could understand your repeated comments, but I don't understand the relevance of this blog or its author to your story.

11/13/2008 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu're a lawyer, aren't you lance?

I could tell by the snide remark about going to law school before the statute of limitations expires.

ANd I was not refering to my lawyer.

HE is the one who pointed out the vast corruption to me, but he is just a small fry and would be canned it he tried to fight it.

He pointed out that certain lawywes can get better deals and gave me his fee back, although he didn't charge all that much and told me to go to one of the Big Boys.

They charge a Hell of a lot more and I got a somewhat better deal...but not really that great considering what I had to pay.

I should have stuck with my guy.

Who ya kiddin, Lance?

Besides yourself>


Traffic Court Failure

11/13/2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger les said...

Back to the issue, do you do pants?

11/13/2008 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon:

Yes, I am a lawyer. I didn't mean to be snide and apologize to you since the tone of my remark offended you, but I was trying to give you an option in the event that you don't trust any lawyer to look out for your own interests.

I agree that some lawyers get better deals than others. But without more, that fact is not evidence of corruption. I am proud to admit to getting "better deals" for my clients than what is initially offered in many cases, but this is a result of hard work, not dishonesty. Knowing where to look for evidential deficiencies and how to effectively apply pressure to opposing counsel is knowledge I was only able to gain through experience.

I know that I could be wrong, but I assume that those who get "better deals" without having to go to the mat on every case have simply earned that privilege by past demonstrations of their ability to make it difficult for the City to get a conviction.

11/13/2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger Brandon Joseph Baker said...

Dan, you're absolutely right. Maybe if it keeps up you can just loan me a few.

11/13/2008 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home